Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 16: Needs are met

I was doing the bills today. My husband gets paid once a month. So... every month on the 16th (or the friday before if it falls on the weekend), I set out to pay all of the bills that we have for the month. This is a discouraging thing for me. Like sometimes I get really upset. When I pay all the bills and see how much money is left for food, gas, and fun (or in today's case: Christmas gifts)... it can make me rather grumpy. And I am feeling a bit like that today. So I thought I would try to think positively and write my thanksgiving post about the fact that my needs are met.

I can pay my bills, I can feed my children, we have a warm home, we have transportation, my son has a safe place to learn and grow at school, my family is generally healthy, we have had the advantage and joy of education (MW and me), we have very little debt... our needs are being met.

It takes work and diligence and a bit of pouting sometimes. A lot of sacrifice. But I am thankful for the fact that we have the basics in life and are also enjoying some luxuries (gym, internet, saturday morning breakfast out with my family). That our children are fed and loved. That I am fed and loved. Thank you God for your provision in my life.

On a completely unrelated note unless you count the fact that food is a basic necessity... Meijer has canned veggies for 39 cents a can! Our church stocks the food pantry hard core every year the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Maybe your church does something similar or you know of a canned food drive... this is a great way to get a lot of food for one of those! Go check it out :)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

What a *super* great perspective, Rudy. Truly. I think this is the heart of Thanksgiving. It takes our focus off of the wants that we don't have and puts it back on the needs (and even some of the wants) that are met! Thank you, God! :)

Thanks for reminding me of this, as well. :)