Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 11: Veterans!

Of course on Veterans Day I HAVE to give a shout to out all the veterans out there. You all amaze me and I am so thankful for your dutiful service to our country.

I will be the absolute first to admit that I do not understand war, I can also be the first to stand up and say that I value soldiers immensely. I understand the sacrifice, at the very least, that families make in sending their loved ones into a war zone. Because I have made that sacrifice. But more importantly... my brothers have made that sacrifice. Both of my brothers have fought in Iraq and both of them have brought back wounds from the war (the emotional kind and I can't even say thankfully because I don't wish physical or emotional wounds on anyone). And they are noble and kind men and women with moms and dads, and brothers and sisters and children. They have husbands and wives who missed them when they are gone. And so so many of them have given the ultimate sacrifice to protect freedom. The principle that our nation hinges on. With out it, we have no guiding ideal or goal. And I find the concept of freedom to be brilliant and refreshing and it is one of the things that makes me so proud to be an American.

So while I can honestly say that I hate war. I hate what war does to the men and women who fight for our country. I hate that lives are lost. I hate that lives are forever marked by violence, death and fear... I am so thankful that we have men and women who are willing to answer the call of service. Who have gone out and fought hard. Who have done everything their countrymen have asked of them and who have done it with honor in their hearts.
________________________________

I have only ever known, personally, one fallen soldier. He was a good kid. Really... he died at the age of 21 in Iraq. He was a kid in so many peoples eyes and I still remember him as a kid. I mean, had he been home... he likely would have been in college and still on his parents' insurance. I remember him as one of my high school class mates. As a kid that my brother wrestled around with frequently (he was in my younger brothers class). The first picture I found after his death was a picture of him in like... 5th grade across my younger brother. They both had pretty silly faces in the picture. They were the kind of friends that got into lots of mischief together and who, honestly, fought and bickered a lot. But... they always came back to each other looking for some fun and more mischief. He had a huge smile and a very goofy personality. He never seemed to take anything too seriously. I had a Spanish class with him in High School... I was always serious and he was always... not. Always trying to make people laugh and rarely doing his work. It is funny how when I was 17 I didn't see the value in that. I didn't see the value in being playful and fun. Anyway, I didn't know him well and his death and the life that he lived have been profound for me. I can't even imagine how this has and still affects his parents, family and friends. I see so many people from my brothers class who knew him well and who literally take a moment every chance they get to remember him and to keep his spirit alive. His life had weight and significance. His life was profoundly important to so many people.         


And I also just want to take a moment in thinking about veterans to let Cpl. Will Powell's family know I am thinking about you. I am sure the likelihood of them reading this is slim but there are people still thinking about and praying for you. There are constant reminders of Will all around for me and I no longer live in Evansville. But I know lots of people who love Will dearly and they make sure he is remembered. There is not a anniversary or occasion to celebrate his life that goes by unnoticed.

____________________


Thank you to all of the veterans out there. Thanks to the ones still here and thanks to the ones who have gone before. Thanks to all of the families who have servicemen and women overseas right now. Thanks to the families who have supported service members in the past. And may God provide rest, peace and comfort to those of you missing you soldier today... and everyday.

No comments: