Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sick kiddos and concerned looks

Both of the boys are sick right now. Super Muscles has a virus. He has a very nasty cough and drainage. Mucous everywhere. He is choking on some gross stuff every single time he coughs. He just... LOOKS sick. The boy rarely slows down but his eyes look ill and he is slow and tired. Dr. H thinks that he should just have a few more days left of this though and he will hopefully get some good sleep tonight. Cough syrup isn't helping and there isn't really anything I can do for him other than make sure he has enough to drink. Which, when his throat hurts he drinks gallons of ice water a day. Yes, I ONLY let him have ice in his water when he is sick. I have found it to be a good tactic to get him to stay hydrated when ill. Ice cubes are apparently like a treat and he says the "super duper cold water" makes his throat feel better. I roll with it. Dr. H suggested warm apple juice to help with the excess mucous and I thought my kids eyes were going to pop out of his head in pure delight that someone was suggesting to me that he could have juice (remember, we are a no juice family). HA!. We haven't tried it yet but I may pick some up tomorrow and see if it makes my sweet sicky feel better.

Slobber Rocket... well we aren't 100% sure what is up with him. He has a high fever. That is about what we know. He is not showing symptoms other than a fever. Right, he does this a lot. I know. lol. But if he is not showing symptoms of the same virus his brother has by tomorrow he needs to go back to Dr. H for some blood work to make sure he doesn't have a bacterial infection. He gets random fevers though and though we had a nice stretch with no fever, maybe he didn't want us to forget they exist. lol. Anyway, we will see what the morning brings for him I guess.

He hasn't gained any weight in 5 weeks. Not a single ounce! And that is where the concerned looks come in.... Right but I don't know what to say. You can lead a horse/child to water/food but you can't make him drink/eat. That is my life right now. Leading my kid to food and trying to make it work. And it is a process. A very frustrating process. One step forward and a few back. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes it seems like there is progress. The last month it has seemed like to me that he is eating a wider variety of food and we are getting some actual nutrients into him but he hasn't gained any weight. I mean he still doesn't eat much but we follow the rules and work with him. *sigh* But Dr. H said we can talk about it at his 18 mos appointment which is in 1.5 weeks. I am so glad she could read on my face that I was so NOT in the mood to talk about it today.

The Motrin and cough syrup will expire soon so I should TRY to get some sleep. We will see how that goes.

No comments: