Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cherishing Marriage

Beware of sappy post. Avert your eyes if mushy makes you queasy. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

I have a good husband. He is a very good, genuine, and kind man. He puts our family first and he is sacrificial in so many ways. He forgoes many of his own wants to meet our needs and wants first. I am madly in love with him and I am not even remotely afraid to admit it. His personality is full of so many things that I lack and he is supportive and encouraging of me. And I know my own personality compliments his as well. He genuinely wants me to be happy and I desperately want for him to have a fulfilling life filled with love and rich experiences. We get along well. We understand each other in very unique and intimate ways. We are good co-parents to our children.

In fact, before I got married this is not at all what I would have pictured *my* marriage looking like.

Honestly, I didn't know what a good and loving marriage was. Fortunately for me, I did not fall into the same pattern that is common for girls/young women who have been abused to fall into. I started dating a kind, smart and quirky MW when I was 14 years old. I look back and am so thankful that my first real relationship was with him and was a safe and caring experience. It continues to be a safe and caring experience. There are bumps and obstacles. There are hard times and rough spots. There are bad attitudes and cutting words on occasion. But for the most part, a huge part... it is beautiful and fun and happy.

But we are not perfect and I have been thinking a lot about marriage and how to strengthen mine. We are doing a Bible Study at church on this topic. I have also been really convicted by many songs recently (Dancing in the Minefields for example) and by some videos (this interview) friends have posted. I want to look back on my life in 40 years and still feel this intense love for the man I have married. I want to still get butterflies in my stomach when he kisses my forehead and honestly I still want him to want me. I want him to know that I am always there for him and that there is not much he could do to make my love for him waiver or shake. I want our trust to bloom into something that can not be moved or broken (big deal for me... I am not good at the whole trust thing). I just want to... cherish... him and cherish... us.

There are some lyrics to a song called God Gave Me You that really kind of sum it up for me.

On my own I’m only
Half of what I could be
I can’t do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo

I am so thankful for my sweet husband and his unending love and support. He is my biggest fan and best friend. He challenges me and pushes me to become a better person. I would say I don't deserve him and he would tell me that is a big lie. So I will just say, I am blessed and I hope I bless him just as much.

Cherishing you, cherishing us. I love you Mr. Wonderful.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Love that song, and also Dancing in the Minefields. Such beautiful pictures of our marriages. I hope you have many, many beautiful years of dancing in the minefields with your hubby.