Monday, August 23, 2010

I am not an extrovert: the first step is admitting you lied to yourself.

It is kind of funny how you are constantly learning new things about yourself. I was telling a friend today that I always had this notion that I was extroverted. Well, I am not sure if that is the right way to put it but I sure spent a lot of time thinking I was extroverted based solely on what I wanted, in my head, from a social standpoint. I like the idea of social. I love the idea of having friends close enough to trust and care for. Love the concept of having people calling me and asking me to do things with them. I like thinking about being comfortable in social settings. But... I am not. And it wreaks havoc on my self-confidence. I am, for all practical purposes, introverted. As in... I behave as an introvert because of the sheer amount of anxiety I deal with on a daily basis. I do things with my family but that is about it. I stay home a lot. I stay away from new people. I don't feel comfortable behaving socially. I don't like crowds... they stress me out. I HATE talking on the phone.  I can't trust people. I don't even really like talking to people because I feel like they are judging me and my intelligence. And this is all just every day social interaction. Public speaking, um... no. It isn't that I don't know a lot of people. I do. I know lots of people, have lots of acquaintances. But no friends (I know there are people who will say "but yea , I am your friend" and I am not saying I don't value you so don't be offended. This is about me and the connections I make and not about who and how people reach out to me). It is frustrating. It feeds my anxieties because I feel like I am only good at failing in this area. I think I am generally known as a nice, but distant, person. Someone who will do things for others but not invest in them. And that is because that is about how I am. There are just so many things that add up to a very socially awkward person. This would be fine if I were like my husband and was okay with this. He is very comfortable with his introvertedness (wee made up word!). I think he generally feels secure and loved and valued/respected. Plus his personality has nothing to do with anxiety so yea, he is introverted but the boy can give kick butt speeches and has confidence in himself. And I just don't want to live my life being this kind of person!

I feel anxious all the time. Sick. I want to succeed in social situations but I have a very hard time doing that. Maybe if things would have played out differently I would be better or it would be easier. But not in this life and not right now. Anxiety, fear, inability to trust... I am so sick of those things being the theme of my life lately. I am trying to change that. I really am. I have a massive fear of my children being horribly affected by my fears and fear related/anxiety driven choices. I can not let that happen. I have found a counselor that I really like and we are working through stuff. It is like this though..., hard at first and for a while. My anxiety level is higher than most of the populations just as a product of suffering with multiple anxiety disorders so counseling makes me a lot worse for a while. But it is going to get better and I am going to make some big, healthy choices for me and my family. It will hurt, no doubt, but it is what I need to do. Being healthy for my family is the most important thing I can do for them. I am so thankful that even though I have issues, they love me. I keep coming back to that. They love me, they support me, and they are totally worth the hard work. And sometimes... I feel like I might even be worth the work too.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I too suffer greatly from anxiety and I worry constantly about how it will/is affecting my daughter. I do not want her to grow up and constantly have the same fear of the "what if" as I do. I dont want her to seclude herself from life because her mother was to scared to get out and live life the way it should be lived. I am great at avoiding social situations due to my anxiety and fears. It is def no way to live and I will continue to pray that the counseling helps you :)

Amy said...

Definitely interested to see how counseling helps you. I think many of us would benefit from a good counseling relationship...I mean, what harm could it do? You are a good mama and wife for your family. I'm proud of you for working on your fears. Love you, Debra.

Quigs78 said...

I think a good counselor is like a deep tissue massage. It hurts in the beginning, but it's just getting all of the knots out so that you can feel relief in the long run. :)

Good luck!

Sara Kifer said...

I think you have this standard in your mind that you think you must meet or else you will be a "bad" mom, wife, or friend. I know this sounds much "easier said than done", but maybe if you change your focus to small, obtainable goals each day or week and build from there...you will find the real standard all along...just you and only you!! :)