Sunday, February 14, 2010

Super Muscles turns 4!

I figured since I posted about Slobber Rocket's birthday a bit late I had to show my eldest son the same kind of mom love! Wouldn't want to be unfair you know.

My sweet Super Muscles turned 4 yrs old on Monday, February 8. He is such a big boy now. He had actually convinced himself that he was 4 when he had his birthday party. I had to break the news to him that a party doesn't change your age. It was a difficult 9 days for my son as he anticipated the day he could finally say he was 4. He is done with 3 and said good bye with very few issues. In fact, he is loving this new age. He thinks he is hot stuff. And... he is! Hopefully I can now come through on my promise to let him play tee ball when he is 4. So far, I don't know of a place that offers it before 5. Boo.

Anyway, Super Muscles changed my world when he was born on a snowy morning in Muncie, Indiana. Long labor, 3 hours of pushing, vacuum attached to his head... he was stubborn about coming into this world. I don't blame him though. But there are very few memories that stick out in my mind like the first memory I have of him being placed into my arms. The whole world stopped for a few seconds. I could not think of a single word to say that quantified that moment. So I just sat in silence for a few moments taking in this perfect, sweet little boy who had just entered into the world. It was one of the most amazing moments of my life. He snuggled right in and nursed and seriously... I. was. in. love. He didn't really even look like a newborn. He had this perfect face that was far ahead of his age. He still has that sense about him. Like... he is older and more mature than the numbers say he should be. He certainly has many 4 year old moments though, don't get me wrong.

The last year, SM has changed and grown so much it would be hard to describe it all. So I will try to sum up some of my favorite things about him. He has the most delicious grin where he scrunches up his eyes. It is so funny and sweet and cute. I love when I get that silly grin of his. He is also learning how to be friends with other children. He is learning how to share and take turns. How to take care of other people (especially his little brother... most of the time). He talks like an adult very frequently. He says things that crack me up. He told me the other day that he couldn't change the tv to something because "it is just impossible mom!".  He is taking more opportunities to act like a big boy and he even owns his mistakes sometimes. If he has an accident at night, he quietly comes to get me to help him and tries very hard not to wake his brother. He loves dinosaurs, toy story and cars. He has a terrific sense of humor and tells jokes that sometimes no one else gets but they make me laugh anyway because they send him into fits of laughter. He is learning to write and he can spell many words phonetically which is a very neat process to watch.

He is such a neat little boy! I didn't think I was ready for a child at 20 and I probably wasn't really. But he has taught us so much about life and team work and family and love. I love him so much and am so thankful that he came when we needed him instead of when *I* was ready for a child. Happy Birthday Super Muscles!

P.S. Super Muscles, I realize you are a super rules follower but please forgive me for a delinquent birthday post ;)

No comments: