Thursday, February 4, 2010

1st Birthday

I am a few days late on this as Slobber Rocket's birthday was on Jan. 30th (Jan. 03 if our insurance is any indication of reality). I am generally more on top of things like this but... well, its been a difficult couple of weeks for me and honestly, I don't even know how to sum up a year with this tiny piece of heaven. And yea... that is the amt of cake he ate! :). Well, I actually dug the hole into the cake and tried to convince him to eat it and it didn't work ;).  But that is the face of a little boy who has made a big difference in our lives over the course of the last 1 yr and 9 mos. Sweet blonde hair and amazing blue, green, potentially hazelish eyes (seriously, it is hard to tell. I am thinking they are turning hazel like mine but they are a very light hazel but daddy says maybe green and sometimes they look blue). And he certainly has a very big personality in that tiny little body of his. He is very expressive and sweet. We often tease that he has Napoleon syndrome because he gets SO angry when things don't go his way and he throws baby profanities at problems. He keeps trying even if something gets in his way and he may cuss about it but he doesn't give up. He genuinely believes he can accomplish anything. And though the things he is trying to accomplish now are climbing the couch and getting over and through objects that are keeping him from something he desires, I think this will stick with him. That part of his personality is very much like me. I think we often times look for ways our children are like us. Honestly Slobber Rocket is also very similar to his Daddy. From that blonde hair to his quiet, contemplative temperament (except when he is determined to accomplish a goal) he embodies so many cool things I really like about his dad.

But what is really cool about that 2nd child is that you thought you were all loved out and spent caring for the other child. And this 2nd child came along and I found out that was no where near true. That I could love another guy just as much and in new ways. And as his personality develops to have quirks and nuances, I find myself falling more and more in love with him just like I always have with his brother. It is a new love, a different love but an equal love. It is really hard to explain except that people tell you it will happen but you just don't know how to believe them. You can't believe them because it isn't logical really but it just happens.

And Slobber Rocket has presented new challenges to our family this year. There has been the growing pains of a 3 yr old learning to have a brother, and illnesses, and sleeplessness.... but I look back from today and all of it has taught me so much about being a family and about truly being there for one another. My husband has shown such sacrifice in helping to take care of our children even when he has to work and we really haven't had much sleep. Super Muscles had a rough few months in there somewhere (not only was he 3 and 3 is not my favorite age but he had a new sibling) but he is learning to share and take care of his brother. He is learning that his brother is small and young and needs lots of help. He is being more kind and concerned. I pray their relationship continues to bloom into a friendship and brotherhood that will be strong and centered.

I think it is just interesting how one little person can change so many things in someones life. I love waking up every morning to nurse this little boy who just grins at me and sings to me. I love the loud kisses he gives and the shy cuddles we get when he doesn't want to talk to people he doesn't know. I don't love some of the problems he seems to have because they are exhausting but I love that it is all teaching me something about life and love. That I have/ we have a strength about our family. I love when the boys sit next to one another and talk to each other like they have their own special language. I like chasing Slobber Rocket around the living room on my hands and knees and listening to him laugh. He has such a sweet giggle. I love when he dances and how he carries around a stupid (ie dirty)  hacky sack all the time because he likes the texture. I love how when he is tired he will find the nearest blanket and just lie down for a quick rest before he is off and moving again. And I especially like how he has made our home and family better just because he is here. Some of the best gifts come in tiny packages. Slobber Rocket is certainly one of those awesome gifts in a tiny little package.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Oh that pic of SR is just melting my heart! I love this post, its so well written and I can so relate to evrything. I sorta just want to copy and paste it on my own blog~!

Amy said...

Happy birthday, sweet boy! I enjoyed reading the "year in review". It is so fun to look back over their first year with all the ups, downs, and changes...they change TOO fast! You are a good mama to both of your boys, and I love reading about your growing family!