Friday, September 11, 2009

We didn't start calling ourselves Christians.

So I was presented with an idea recently that I had never really thought of. In the book of Acts, we find that the word "Christian" is first used to describe some of Jesus' followers (Barnabus and Saul) who met up with a church and taught lots of people about Jesus. From all accounts it is not a name Christian gave themselves. Acts 11:25-26. The last piece of these verses says "The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

Now I find this to be in stark contrast to what the church looks like today and that discourages me. People saw this church and because of the teaching and deeds that were going on they called them "Christians" or... Christ-like people. Because they were spreading the word of God and taking care of the widows and orphans and poor and because they were ministering to one another's needs and creating a community, they were given this title. A title earned through action.

I find today's church to be completely different and I am being pummeled by conviction in this area. In the American church, we give ourselves the title of Christian. It is not a title other's give us because they look in and see something different. We are not living radical, sold out for Jesus lives where we sacrifice our own comforts to love God and love others. And honestly, its me too. And that makes me completely uncomfortable (as it should). I want to be part of changing the world. I want to be part of helping those who need help and comforting those who need comfort and loving those who need love. I want to be part of showing Gods love to the people in my community. I want my church to be part of that too. And I know this is what God wants because this is the church that is demonstrated in the Bible.

Acts 2:42-47 is somewhat of a mission statement of what a church should be. I pray that our church can become a church that people look in and call us Christian because those are the actions we demonstrate. I pray we can turn from arrogance and from wearing the title of Christian pridefully and focus on our duty of loving others as we love ourselves.

Check out the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan if you are interested in a movement to change the Church and to love the Church. To go back to the New Testament church. It starts with individuals and convictions that we are missing something. We are missing something big.

1 comment:

lindseydenise said...

Hey my name is Lindsey! I found your blog by searching for the word GOD, it is amazing to know we are able to be public our love for GOD. Your children are adorable! Have a blessed week! I love you and Keep Smiling!