Friday, September 18, 2009

Nicknames irk me

I grew up with a name that could easily be shortened or made into a name that I just really dislike. I make a few exception to my no nickname rule but to people who do not fall into the exception category, I politely remind them over and over that I prefer to be called by my given name. It is me. It is the name my mom picked out to give me with care and love. I prefer it. And it has ALWAYS been a big deal to me. So when picking my Super Muscles name... it was kind of a big deal to make it short and to make it a name that could not be messed with. Oh yea, we didn't spell it as expected so my 3 yr old totally spells his name when he introduces himself to people. But I *thought* this would mean no annoying nickname for him. I was wrong. When he was a few mos old, my friend babysat him and her roommates started adding to his name (instead of the normal subtracting to make a nickname) and I realized that no name I give my child is nickname proof.

So when we set out to name the baby I ignored the fact that Slobber Rocket could very easily be branded with a nickname but to my odd surprise, only one person I know has shortened his name and it was unintentional.

But all this makes me wonder what things will be like when they can decide not to go by their given names. Slobber Rocket could choose to be called the shortened version of his name or Super Muscles could go by his middle name or... they could just pick a name they like. Or their friends could call them something ridiculous that sticks (Crabnuts rings a bell since it is what my husband was called in high school). I dread this because I completely love their names. They are original but not over the top. They suit their little personalities. Hopefully they will make people remember them when they are looking for jobs. Hopefully Super Muscles won't grow tired of how we chose to spell his name. Or the fact that he is somewhat branded to football because of his name (which is one reason we didn't keep the "normal" spelling). Naming a child is hard work. I hope they appreciate their names and wear them proudly. I am just growing into my name. I always thought I had a very refined name. A bit older than me but I do really love my name.

Just some random, useless thoughts from me. Maybe I will have something profound later.

4 comments:

Amy said...

CRABNUTS??? All this time I've known you and I could have been calling you Crabnuts? I can't believe you never told me. Hmph.

I know about the nicknames. I have a feeling that Abigail will become Abby when she gets into school, and I really, really don't want her to. There is nothing at all wrong with the name Abby, but she is not an Abby to me. She's been Abigail all along, and I want her to keep that identity. But you are right. Eventually, it isn't up to us. Boo.

~rachel~ said...

I hate nicknames too! I know sometimes everyone just starts calling them different names... We picked names that can't easily be shortened so hopefully no one tries. I have had many people assume that ELi was short for Elijah!? I love the name Elijah and if that was his name THAT is what he would be called. I also don't understand why people name their children Rowan Michael, but they are just planning on calling them by the middle name- why not just put that name first?.

My sister is Abby (well Abigail) but we've called her Abby from day one that's what my mom wanted I do prefer Abigail though! :)

Lora said...

I love crabnuts! You haven't told me about it before!

My kids seem to get stuck with a host of nicknames, none that sound anything like their real names. I think your boys have awesome names :)

marly said...

I agree - nicknames should only be used with the permission of the owner!