Thursday, August 6, 2009

kind of bummed today

Today I am feeling kind of down. I don't know if I can accurately explain it but I will try. I am shy... no, really... I am. I know people don't think that about me sometimes because once I get to know someone I talk a lot. I am also in a stage of life that I don't find many people in around here. I am a young (23) parent of two boys who is finding it difficult to make friends. I have one friend here that I know that I know that I know I can count on if I ever need something. She is the same friend who I actually trust to watch my children. I don't have family close. I have church but... again, not many people in our boat. Not do discount the friendships I have through church and how amazing the church we go to is. But I still feel... lonely. I have lots of people who are more than willing to do things with me and my children but I haven't really clicked with many people here or found a group of close friends who I can call when I need someone to help cheer me up.

The kicker... I know a lot of it is my fault. I am hesitant to meet people and to open up. I don't trust people very easily. And I don't like to admit that I sometimes need help with my children.

I have tried to change this about myself so many times. I am just not sure how to make it stick. But if I don't open up and make some friends, I imagine I am going to feel this way for however long we have left here then for however long we are in a new place, etc.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Aw, Debra. I'm sorry, sweet friend. It is a hard place to be in when you are away from family and don't feel like you connect with people your age. I often felt that way in Muncie, as we loved our students, but with the exception of Joe and Sara, we felt like we never really had "friends" in Muncie that were in our boat. That can be tough.
Hang in there. The important thing is that you are being a great mom and supportive wife to your student-hubby. This is a season of life that will pass quicker than you think. Love you.