Friday, August 7, 2009

Facing Fears

My Super Muscles is notorious for being scared. Particularly of loud noises but he also has other fears. One such fear, is a fear of... MONSTERS! I don't even know where the turkey learned about monsters since we don't watch much tv and certainly nothing scary. But somehow, he did learn about monsters. We were dealing with this shortly before Slobber Rocket was born and it was consuming our little boy. He was constantly thinking about the monsters in his room. I would tell him that there were none or that we made them leave the house or... whatever I needed to say to get him to sleep.

So, right around Super Muscles birthday (which is 9 days after Slobber Rockets) we were opening gifts from family since we had missed Christmas with them. And one of the gifts Super Muscles opened was...
Enter the puppet we lovingly refer to as "Crazy Monster". He was a gift from my Aunt and Uncle and just what my little scared boy needed. Once we named him and got the big kid calm enough to play with him and use the puppet we started having a dialogue about how unscary monsters were. "Crazy Monster" is silly and only wants to make little boys and girls laugh and have fun! So now when he gets scared, we refer back to "Crazy Monster" and he makes bed time a little easier (night stars too but that is a different story).

Here is what reminded me of "Crazy Monster" this evening,...
And just because my kids are pretty darn cute... here are a couple more pictures :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love crazy monster! What a smart way to help him not be scared...make it your friend. Very smart, indeed. Abigail's "fear", though I think it isn't a real one, but one she thinks she should be afraid of, is bears. She comes out at night to tell me there are bears in her room. Usually I go in and yell at them to leave, or we spray her "bear spray". You know, repellent. :) We have to be creative little Mommies, don't we?