Monday, July 6, 2009

The 5th of July

We had a very soggy 4th in central Illinois. Parade and festivities were all canceled. So we went to rescheduled fireworks last night. Super Muscles was very excited about the fireworks but we knew that he'd likely be afraid of the noise. So when a friend invited us to join them about a mile away (where the booms wouldn't be so bad), we took them up on the offer.

I wasn't sure how he would do... he was very excited to be going. But he does have pretty huge issues with sound. He is afraid of "loud" noises... or even louder than we talk noises. He shrivels up into a crying, ear covering mess if someone yells or talks to loudly or if the hair dryer is turned on. It has been a rather large issue for us lately because it is preventing him from trying things and it just really upsets him. So, that sets the stage for why I was kind of hesitant to even take him. But he was excited, anticipated liking them and asked if we could go... so we went.
See... super excited!
We even got a family picture before the show :)
And I am pretty darn sure its the ONLY one we have.
Ooooh and I got a nice one of Mr. Wonderful with my two beautiful boys.
And even one with me and the boys...
That is why it is good to do things with friends... you can get pictures that include yourself!

So how did the fireworks go...? Not as bad as last year. lol. Last yr I was a few mos pregnant and nauseous and Super Muscles spent the whole show in the car, on my lap, screaming, hands over his ears, my hands over his eyes, begging for the booms to stop... pretty much anything is better than that... right?

He did actually enjoy the show this year but not without a bit of help from the headphones or his hands...
Really, if anyone has an idea on how I can make my older sons life a bit more bearable with the whole... "I'm deathly afraid of loud noises" thing... please, let me know how.

2 comments:

Lora said...

super cute pictures!

Amy said...

I love all of the pictures! We had a soggy 4th, too, but were very impressed with our little town's fireworks on the 5th. Abigail didn't like the loud noises either, so she and SM would have gotten along just fine. Remember they spent their first 4th of July together? Awwwww.