Monday, July 6, 2009

Bran muffins... yum

Mr. Wonderful recently recalled something we ate often in Mexico (not its not traditionally eaten in Mexico but American Missionaries apparently eat it in Mexico)... Bran Muffins. I haven't made them in about 5 yrs and I totally did not recall how to make them. So we bought a box of bran cereal and I sorta used the recipe from Banana Bran Muffins to make something a bit different. I don't like bananas and had no desire to make muffins I would not eat. SO... here is my different bran muffin recipe that kind of followed the box but not really.

Carrot Apple Walnut Bran Muffins (see how that works... all stuff I like!)

I cook and bake like a spaz so some of my measurements aren't exactly measurements... be forewarned.
Ingredients:
2 Carrots
1 med-large apple (I used golden delicious because it is what my husband prefers)
Some walnuts (maybe a cup??)
1.5 cups of bran cereal
1/2 cups of milk (I ended up adding a bit at the end to make it a better consistency)
1 egg
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/4 cup of sugar (I didn't use that much though... but sometimes I don't measure)
2 Tsp baking powder
1/4 Tsp baking soda
some nutmeg
some cinnamon

Peel and grate carrot, peel and dice apple, make whole walnuts a reasonable size to use in muffins.Combine deliciousness in a bowl with cereal, milk, egg, and veg. oil. Then beat or mix vigorously or something until it looks like this.In another bowl... mix together your remaining dry ingredients. Maybe you are lucky enough to have a cute chefs assistant like I have?

Then poor the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix it all up until its wet. Don't beat the snot out of it or anything. This is where I had to add just a bit more milk to give it a better consistency.Then, put the batter into greased (or lined) muffin tin.
Put them into a 400 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes. They may need up to 25 depending on your oven.
Super Muscles and Mr. Wonderful both approved. Best news is that there is very little sugar used (if you use a sweeter apple you could probably get by with no sugar or if you used other sweeter fruits or you could sweeten with a bit of apple sauce instead) and you can put all kinds of yummy stuff your children won't normally eat inside! SM is not a very big fan of carrots or walnuts by themselves.

I will be periodically sharing some recipes of things I make for SM for snacks and dinners and stuff because we love cooking together and I am a little obsessed with what my children eat. I am also probably going to post some easy recipes for babyfood as I figure that all out soon.

1 comment:

Just the Sous Chef said...

cute ... I love the pic of SM scooping the mix into the muffin tin! Also - L doesn't like loud noises either (although doesn't sound any where near SM's disklike for loud noises) ... he at first wanted to leave the fireworks show because of the sound and requested (to everyone's amusement around us) for us to ask them to "turn down" the fireworks. Sorry - no advice. We just calmly talk him through it with a quiet voice and try to get him to focus on our words not the sound. HTH