Saturday, May 30, 2009

Breast is best, if you do it discreetly.

One of my friends recently posted this article on facebook. Well, its not really an article. It is a reply to an episode of The Doctors that she saw. I found it pretty interesting. I lie somewhere between this woman and "the doctors".

I use my breasts to feed my child. I don't think it is gross, needs to be hidden, or is something that should get nasty stares. I don't think that a woman should "have" to cover her child when s/he eats because that is what society demands either. I generally do cover up though out of respect for those around me who may not be comfortable with someone nursing completely exposed. But, I don't cover my baby on 90 degree days or when I am in my own house (be warned) or in a group of people who I know just don't care. I also know my state laws and would have a fit if someone told me I couldn't nurse somewhere. I love to talk to other moms about nursing and I like to provide them with help if they need it.

It frustrates me that women don't help each other learn to nurse either (I really feel this would increase the rate of success). I don't know why. I generally assume its because many of our parents didn't nurse and lots of us don't live near family anyway. But if you are my friend and you need help, I will come help you! I was glad that when I was nursing SM, I had a friend that was going through it at the same time and we could talk about it openly and give suggestions and tips.

Maybe I won't go as far as signing an indiscreet manifesto or anything but if we truly want breastfeeding to be what the vast majority of parents do in this country, we need to let go of the boob hangups. There are moms who won't nurse solely because they can't see around nursing in public. We are a knowledgeable group of people and the data is out and distributed and it proves that breastfeeding is nutritionally superior to any other food we can feed our babies so lets start encouraging women and helping them if they are willing to give it a shot. No more dirty looks, no more freaking out if you see boob skin, no more expectations of covered babies... just let a mom feed her child, the world will be a happier place.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I agree...people are too phobic about it all. I admit, I think I was pretty discreet about it when I nursed, but I still managed to make it 15 months! I covered up in public. If we were at my parents house or a friends house, I would go into a different room (usually...I felt weird nursing in front of my dad). What usually drove me crazy was places like church...churches should all be aware of providing a place for nursing moms. It seems like only larger churches do, otherwise you are forced to sit in an empty SS class or in the nursery around all the other kids and nursery workers. I also didn't like going to the mall and having to find an empty dressing room. I know these are places you probably would have just nursed anyway, but I usually tried to be by ourselves someplace quiet. But it can be done! I LOVED nursing and made it a long time, even with some of my own privacy issues. :)
You are a good nursing mama, and you would be a great help and encouragement to any of your friends.

Mama2SweetBabyJames said...

Quote from the woman on the forum: "I will bare my breast with pride and confidence."

While I appreciate that she is proud she BF'ed her child(ren), I find that attitude disrespectful. My body is a temple of the Lord AND belongs to my husband. There's nothing to prove by baring breasts in public, and my husband likes to keep mine for his eyes only. ;-)

All that being said, I have nursed in all kinds of places, from the mall, to grocery stores, church, museums, wherever. It can be done in a way that is respectful to everyone. It makes me sad to hear women talk about BFing as if it is "gross" or "uncivilized" and anyone who claims they aren't BFing because they "can't do it in public" probably are just finding an excuse to make themselves feel better about feeding their kids formula.