Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hearing loss, surgery and the aftermath

I went to the doctor yesterday to get the stitches out of my head. Dr. Y, my ENT, was running an hour late because of a surgery that went over. I don't get upset about things like that but other people do. So the wait was full of grumbles. Most people probably could have rescheduled so I really don't get all the attitude about it. I am pretty sure he can't just leave someones head open for 2 hours while he does appointments. I am certainly glad he didn't do that to me ;)

Anyway, while I was waiting... I spiked a fever. I think I freaked the nurse out a bit. Rotf. I just felt... funny. My head was hurting and I was dizzy (but not horribly) and just felt like I was getting sick or something. This is not what they want to see a week after surgery. So I spent quite a bit of time being checked to make sure I didn't have some kind of problem going on. The conclusion was that I had picked up some kind of virus though. My ear looked good, my incision looked good, all the tests and feeling they did all my head, face, nose and throat went okay. So I was told to go home and rest (YES! best news ever). So I slept for 12 hrs last night. lol. I feel a bit better today. Still a bit "fuzzy" but better.

As far as the surgery, he found lots of fluid in my mastoid, infection and some cysts that were small and not dangerous. He did say he doesn't really know about my hearing because while the small bones were okay structurally, they don't vibrate correctly. Now it is just a wait and see. Getting the infection out may correct that. If it doesn't correct that, he will know my small bones are not working properly. Apparently I can have another surgery to correct this. But I am not sure if I want another surgery. The problem I had can come back in some people who have had this surgery so I may be set up for more surgeries just because my ear doesn't function properly as it is. I am not sure what all of the options will be but hopefully with all the fluid and infection out my hearing will at least improve. If not, well... I just don't know what I want to do at this point. I guess all that is left to do is wait and see. My right ear, at this point, is still pretty useless. So if I don't hear you, it's because I still can't hear well. My bone conduction is still much greater than the air conduction on that side. Which is totally normal since my head is still full of packing. I am also having issues being overwhelmed by sound, It almost feels as though my left ear is having issues keeping up. If that makes sense. I was in the church nursery on Sunday and I could hardly hear at all when I got out. I just felt like everything was garbled and quiet. Too much stimulation for me I think.

Anyway thats what I know about my ear right now. Maybe more news in a month when I go back. I am hoping my hearing improves to the point that I at least feel like another surgery isn't worth it.  I still have so many questions I need answers too but they will come in time. My next appointment is on a day where Dr. Y has no surgeries (nice staff of his know I come to see him too often to come on surgery days). And I also have many other ENT stuffs to work out after the ear drama is over so I kind of have a bit of a road ahead of me with my allergies, sinuses and ears but I am glad to finally be getting help. It took me a long time to find a doctor who did the right tests and knew what was going on. Which has been a frustrating part of the journey. But hopefully, at the very least, my ear won't hurt nearly as bad or often after it heals.

1 comment: