Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year, New Goals

The beginning of the year always seems to be a time of reflection and a time to see how you screwed up last year and what you did well.

And I admit, I did mess some stuff up. I could have kept my house cleaner and found more balance between responsibilities and fun. Me and my family life fun a lot more that responsibility. So much so that i can go a while before I do laundry or a long time before I shove most of the dishes into the dishwasher. I can peck on my computer for far too long and neglect my chores because fun is... well, its just more fun than responsibility. I didn't devote enough time to studying the Bible either. I mean, I read it and all but actually study it and listen and meditate... again, I like fun more.

But as easy as it is to point out all of the flaws, I have to try to find a way to point out some of the successes as well. I had a baby :) He is precious and is definitely a right thing of 2009. I also prayed more than I ever have before over the last year. For my friends, for my health, over my children, over my marriage. I made positive changes in myself based on some character flaws I saw. Granted, I still have many character flaws to work on but... progress is what life is all about. I played a whole lot with my children and I have grown in patience with them both.

So what is going to be different in 2010?

1) Reading the Bible (studying). I am going to read the Bible in chronological order this yr.via rss feed because apparently that keeps me honest and dedicated. So far I am doing really well with this. Traveling through Job right now.

2) Increase my volunteer opportunities. I don't have much money but I do have time and talents so I am going to offer them to some very good organizations over the course of the next year.

3) Go back to school and get a degree. Already on my way. Application is sent in and transcripts are requested.

4) Trust people. Going back to school means trusting people to watch my children (so not an easy thing for me). If there is any one reason I don't end up making it in the fall it WILL be this. So... I am trying to trust people.

5) Commit more time to my husband and cultivate our relationship into something that looks more like lovers and less like "only parents of two small children"

6) Continue to eat well and exercise

7) I have a budget and I stick to it (I have to or it would be ugly) but I am not great about meal planning so that our meals are nutritious and well balanced over the course of the whole month. Sometimes we end up eating a lot of pasta the last week because my meal planning is very unorganized. I plan to remedy that.

8) I want to create a schedule for keeping our home clean and organized that will allow me plenty of play time with my children but also keep me dedicated to my responsibilities.

9) Attack my hearing, allergies, and anxiety this year so I can be healthier for my children and husband. Hopefully this will also help me to not have a nervous breakdown when I put Slobber Rocket in daycare part time to go back to school. I don't worry as much about preschool for the big guy because he will love it.

10) Study and develop photography skills

Anyway those are the things I plan to work on. I am not really a new years resolution kind of gal so I won't call these that. But I do recognize that there are some things I want and need to do better in my life and I want to make progress in those areas. I am hoping writing these down will help me to be accountable to my goals and necessitate positive changes in my life.

1 comment:

~rachel~ said...

I'm the same way about the meal planning, I try to make a menu and I can't think of a thing we can eat! I've seen lots of blogs w/ links to weekly meal planning and I always think about playing a long just to try and get on track with it! We tend to have quesadilla's a lot!