Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I will probably keep him!

Y'all, (I can say that because I was born in Kentucky) I have been sicker than sick since Saturday. I went to the ENT on Friday and he checked me for every ears, nose and throat illness known to man while I was in there just to make sure I was okay. I woke up the next morning with the plague or something. Seriously, I think he did magic doctor voodoo on me so I would have to come see him again. Or, my real theory is that my immune system is completely trashed from all the stress I have been under and my body had to pay the price. Anyway, I rolled around on the bed or couch for 2 days until I could call my doctor to get an appointment only to find out I should have went to the ER for antibiotics on Saturday (I generally refused to go to the ER for non-emergencies you know). So my doctor had no sick appointments open even though my sweet husband called monday morning the second her office opened and I ended up in the ER for a stupid ear infection and laryngitis/pharyngitis (not only could I not talk but my throat was red and swollen and it gave me something similar to croup). Why would *I* go to the ER for antibiotics? Well again... I wouldn't but Illinois medicaid isn't accepted at convenient care so I couldn't go to a doc in the box. Hey stupid in debt Illinois... let people go to convenient care instead of the ER when they are sick... its CHEAPER. okay... really... end of rant (until we discuss the other issue I had with my doctor)...

So from Saturday until probably 10am this morning when I woke up, I had been practically useless. Fever, chills, sweating, could not function my ears hurt so bad (remember I get ear infections all the time and do nothing about them so this one was BAD), could not talk, coughing mess from the tickles in my aching throat. But my best buddy took care of me. Mr. Wonderful took care of the boys (including bathing them... he is pretty terrified of bathing slippery baby), did all the chores, made me soup, got me ice cream, picked up prescriptions, and gave my poor pathetic self hugs when I needed them. I am very proud of him. He was very selfless and sacrificial for me when I needed him to be. Seriously he ran around for almost 4 straight days making sure everything I do plus everything he does got done. He took off work the last 2 days but still worked on his fellowship proposal (which I forgot to proofread... oops) and did laundry and dishes and made phone calls because my man voice embarrassed me. So... I think I will keep him. The truth is, I am very thankful to spend life beside him. And he knows I am there like that for him too.

As for our PCP... I am not as thankful for her. I told you I would come back to it! So Kyle called today (remember I have a man voice) to schedule me an apt for tomorrow *48 hrs after seeing ER doctor* to be told she has no apts until monday and won't be in the office on friday. Seriously? I just need you to stick an otoscope in my ear and tell me if things are healing like they should be, it will take 3 seconds. I have decided she is basically useless and there needs to be more available PCPs for people on medicaid so we don't always have to use less than stellar medical professionals (that was a euphemism if I ever saw one). Thankfully not all medicaid doctors stink, my children have had good luck with pediatricians in Illinois (not so much in Indiana, 3 peds in 10 mos for Super Muscles). At any rate, difficult as they may sometimes be... I am thankful for insurance and for Augmentin because I am feeling much better already. Or UofI could try paying my husband enough money that would could afford decent insurance (that would also require the state to pay bills so I don't see that working out anytime soon either). Either change would be positive in my life. I plan to call my ENT tomorrow to see if I have better luck going that route. He probably needs to know what his doctor voodoo did to me ;) or that I am getting really bad ear infections right before ear surgery.

And sorry for the rambling... I am a little manic and still can't sleep through the tickle in my throat and coughing. But I am excited to be on the mend and needed something productive to do at 11:30 at night. Hopefully the rest of the week I will have the time to get everything ready for the boys' birthday party. Super Muscles is SO excited to see all his friends on Saturday. I reminded myself today that it doesn't all have to get done. They won't know either way so i will do what I can with the time I have left.

No comments: