Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pumpkin time!

So, I love to bake with Super Muscles (and cook and play and dance...). Today was WET and dreary in central Illinois so I told SM if he took a good nap we could bake something afterwards. Then when he laid down for a nap I went on an epic search for something to bake with him. Something pumpkiny but not altogether unhealthy. I found a recipe for pumpkin apple muffins that sounded delicious but when I looked closer at the directions... WAY too much sugar, WAY too much oil, not enough pumpkin, no wheat flour... so much wrong with it! So this is what I came up with:

Pumpkin Apple Muffins w/walnuts
Ingredients:
1 c Wheat flour
1.5 c All purpose flour
1 c brown sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 can of pumpkin
1/2 cup of apple sauce (unsweetened)
2 c finely chopped peeled apples
1/2 cup walnut pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a muffin tin or put liners in

2. In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, spices, baking powder and salt. In another bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, and apple sauce. Stir/mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Fold in apples and walnuts. Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full.

3. Bake at 350 for 25 min.

yummo!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yummy, these sound good! You know I am with you on all things pumpkin. Abigail and I will have to give them a try. I was on a cooking/baking kick tonight, too. Abigail and I made baked custard and bread pudding. Hey, if you like bread pudding, that is an easy one to make. Pretty much just eggs, sugar, and milk poured over bread. There's only 1/3 cup of sugar in my recipe, and Abigail loved it!

Rudy said...

Awesome! I have never had bread pudding but we would love to try it sometime. The recipe I originally found called for 2 cups of sugar. I could have def gotten away with less than 1 c of brown sugar but it also made 20 muffins (easily could have made 2 dozen if I would have not filled my cups so full!). So you could just maybe go with 2/3 cups of brown sugar and still be good.