Sunday, April 25, 2010

Starting to feel better

Thought everyone would like a good update on my health. I aim to please. My cough is finally gone! I am taking my asthma controller meds every day and once I got rid of a fungal infection in my mouth (ewww gross), it seems to be working quite well. Now in addition to rinsing, I try to brush my teeth right after I take it. I also have some lozenges to take if the fungal thing comes back. I am also starting to use my rescue inhaler a lot less! Wee!!! I was using it multiple times a day, especially since the pollen has been so bad this year. But the controller is finally helping my breathing enough that I only have to take the albuterol when I go out in the morning on bad pollen days or when I work out (which still means I take it at least once a day, most days). I definitely still have my normal allergy issues. But when I stop nursing the little one, I am hoping to start immunotherapy and some better allergy meds (medication options are extremely limited when you are nursing). But what I have going is working okay for now. I feel better than I have in a long while.

I have also made a renewed commitment to take better care of my body. I have been consistently working out for just over a month now and it is really helping my mood and energy. I am also trying to eat better. I struggle with eating because... well, I will be honest... because we don't have a lot of money. Every time I set out to do better for my family, I get very discouraged. I can buy so much more food and spend a lot less money if it is processed or "convenience foods". I went to the grocery yesterday and we spent $40 over budget because I bought only lean meats and fresh produce. It is definitely tastier and better for our bodies but... I have a budget! And apparently there aren't many coupons for meat or produce. Go figure. If anyone has any brilliant cost effective solutions for me, I am all ears. I fail at this every time I try because I can not make it fit my $75/week grocery budget. Oh, and as nice as a garden of my own would be, my yard poses many issues for this... just trust me. And let me just say, I do not get whey processed foods and convenience foods are cheaper. You would think that in a country with heart disease and diabetes being so rampant there would be some kind of movement to make healthy eating doable for all families. Okay... my food rant is over! But really, ideas are welcome.

Anyway, I work out too late at night. Honestly, I don't have much other time to do it but it means I am wide awake at 11:30 instead of in bed like everyone else. I think I need to try to get up before the boys wake up but I am not a morning person so I don't actually see that happening. Most of the time, doing it during nap time doesn't work either. I often times need to move my children to different rooms so they can both get the rest they need which means I am extremely limited on where in my own home I can go (the joys of a 900 sq ft house).

And... I think I am fresh out of random thoughts so I am going to try and get to sleep even though I probably have way too much energy to actually get to sleep,

2 comments:

Shawna said...

They can be somewhat hard to come by, but try to get wine tags. I suggest checking out ebay or a coupon trading forum like hotcouponworld. Wine tags come on wine bottles, and they are usually good for x dollars off of meat or produce or seafood or something like that. You don't have to buy wine when you purchase the meat or whatever because the coupon came with the original wine purchase. They're usually more expensive than buying other types of coupons, but they also have a much higher $$$ value.
And you can sometimes find coupons for get x off meat when you buy hamburger helper or something, too. Those are usually in the IGA or County Market flyer. You can often use coupons on the hamburger helper (or whatever it is), too, so that it often ends up being a better deal to buy the hamburger helper and the meat instead of just the meat.
Ok, one more, then I'm done. Meijer marks down their meat on Thursdays (I think... man, the days always run together..). I've gotten some great deals on marked down meat.

Mama2SweetBabyJames said...

You know I'm a fan of Urbana Aldi's...and they have good, cheap produce. Here's a blog post that may help with some tips too. http://aspiritedmind.com/2010/03/healthyeatingbudget/