Friday, April 23, 2010

I feel like I have heard this story before

I was talking to my mom on the phone this morning. We did our normal chit chat and she was really just calling to see how my husband was doing because she knows how close he is to his grandparents. We eventually got into a conversation about my younger brother's father in law. He is 39 years old and had a heart attack last week. One of those nasty congenital (just meaning his specific heart problem was present at birth and "missed") heart attacks you hear about that usually hit a person and they fall over dead. Thankfully that didn't happen to B! Anyway as my mom was telling this story she said "well, since he is a nurse he recognized the symptoms right away and called 911 and that combined with the paramedics effort and the surgery saved his life".

And I said... "Mom, I know who saved his life because I have heard this story before". Rewind to Tuesday when we were visiting my husbands grandfather and family... my husband's dad was telling us a story of a run that he had for a heart attack the previous week. He is a paramedic. He told us about the medications he administered and getting the man to the hospital very quickly. I asked about his demographics and he told me "you know, it was really strange. He was a nurse in his 30's who seemed quite healthy".  So I called my father in law today and sure enough that is who the run was for last week.

Apparently B's quick thinking, my father in laws paramedic skills, and the hospital doing the fastest stint surgery every done at their hospital all worked together to allow him to live. A mistake anywhere really would have been fatal. So I am thankful that B is okay and proud of my father in law. He has saved many lives over the years.

I am amazed sometimes how small the world seems to be. I mean, I wonder what the odds are that my husbands dad (who actually only picks up shifts now with this company because he works full time in another county) would be the one to get the call to go help my brother's father in law? The odds have to be remarkably small. At any rate... B is a lucky man to have had the paramedic he had that day. He is darn good at his job!

No comments: